I was playing that old game I play in my head called PPP. It stands for pick and put or purge when I ran across an old Rachel Ray magazine. When you are playing this game you are not supposed to stop, or read or get distracted.
So while paging through that old Rachel Ray magazine that I do not remember where it came from, there is a recipe section marked 30 minutes meals. She makes a recipe called Cod and Shrimp Stoup with Salt and Vinegar Mashed Potatoes. Rachel calls it stoup. It is thicker than soup and thinner than stew.
Sounds like my kind of recipe although I think it takes a little longer, but maybe I got distracted. Maybe 30 once you have the mise en place.
This would make a great weekday meal or a cozy informal party. I think you could/should prep up to the point it is time to add the fish and shrimp.
Peel your baking potatoes. Start them in cold water, but cut the potatoes in smallish cubes so they will cook quicker. When soft, drain; add butter, chicken stock, and white balsamic. Taste for seasoning.
Then bring the stoup up to simmer; add cod. Cover and simmer 3 minutes. Turn off heat and add the shrimp. Replace the lid. By the time the table is set it’s dinner.
I have never seen a soup that was served over mashed potatoes, but for some reason it sounded good to me. Previously I served cod with tapenade on a bed of mashed potatoes and I thought it was great, but I think this would be good sans potatoes, or maybe over rice, or quinoa, or orzo. Lots of possibilities – use what suits your taste.
Thanks Rachel. Now back to PPP.
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 ribs celery from the heart, with leafy greens, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (14.5-ounces)
- Pepper & Salt to taste
- 1½ pounds thick cod fillets, cut into serving size
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Mise en place ~ Gather Ingredients
- Peel potatoes.
- In a deep pot, add the potatoes in cool water to cover.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, salt the water.
- Cook potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes with ½ cup chicken stock, vinegar and butter; season with salt.
- In a Dutch oven or a large, deep skillet with a lid.
- Over medium heat add the olive oil.
- Add the onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté until the onions are softened; about 7-8 minutes.
- Add wine; cook for 1 minute.
- Add ½ cup chicken stock and the tomatoes with their juice; bring to a simmer.
- Taste for seasoning and tenderness.
- If the vegetables are tender, nestle cod in a single layer into the mixture; cover.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add in the shrimp; cover with lid about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice; discard the bay leaf.
- Place a serving of mashed potatoes in a bowl and top with stoup.
Susan’s at Metamorphosis Monday
Sarah’s at Make The Scene Monday
Jane’s at Melt In Your Mouth
Chandra’s at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s!
Kayla at Sweet Sharing Monday
Ali’s at Recipe Sharing Monday
Debbie’s at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Megin’s at Brag About It
Krista’s at Heavenly Achievements
Linda’s at Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Marty’s at Inspire Me Tuesday
Wanda Ann’s at Tuesday Trivia
Maria’s at Tuesdays At Our Home
Kathe ‘s at Your Gonna Love It Tuesday
Alice’s at Empty Your Archive
Kim’s at Wow Us Wednesday
Sherry’s at Open House Party
Ashley’s at What’s In The Kitchen
Yvonne’s at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS
Dana’s at Two Girls and A Party
Sherry’s at Home Sweet Home
Lindsay’s at Show And Share
The Style Sister’s Centerpiece Wednesdays
Laura’s at Work It Wednesday
Jann’s at Share Your Cup
Leslie’s at Create It Thursday
Miz Helen’s at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Liz at The Brambleberry Cottage
Nici at All Things Thursday
Debra’s at Be Inspired Friday
Cindy’s at Show and Tell Friday
Michael’s at Foodie Friday
Courtney’s at Feathered Nest Friday
Becca’s at Friday’s Five Features
Diann’s at Thrifty Things Friday
Jen’s at Fabulously Creative Friday
Jenny’s at Fridays Flash Blog
Diane’s at Pin Me Party
Ruthie’s at Show and Tell
Leigh Anne’s at Finding the Pretty and Delicious
Linda’s at What To Do Weekend
Paula’s at Saturday Dishes
Shauna’s at The Weekend re-Treat
Ms. Scaper’s at The Tablescaper
Aimee’s at Twigg Studios
Vanessa’s at NiftyThrifty
Carole’s at Carole’s Chatter
Chrystal’s at Ladies Only
Jamie’s at Social Sunday