Hot Pepper Cheese Quesadilla Lunch
For a quick and fresh lunch have a quesadilla with hot pepper cheese.
I don’t pretend to know much about Mexican food, but if you live in Southern California you kind of pick it up through osmosis, or at least that is how it feels; little by little it has crept in. I don’t claim to be authentic but I do say it is delicious.
I have had a difficult time of it because I am in the “No Cilantro, Thank You Very Much” group. The lovers say it gives a fresh bright taste. The hater people say it has a soapy taste. With me it has a metallic taste. You know that taste when you were a little kid and you put that nickel in your mouth to keep your brother from getting it, well that is how it taste to me. But, I no longer judge, you are welcome to use or not to use.
May I suggest you might add a glass of ice tea and a little Lemon Icebox Cake to round out lunch and life is good.
- 4 tortilla (2-per person)
- ¾ cup grated hot pepper cheese
- 1 avacodo
- 1 tomato
- 1 shallot or onion
- 1 small jalapeño – scrape seeds and veins (if you are wimpy like me)
- 1 lemon or lime – (lime is more traditional, but I have lemons)
- A handful of greens per person – shredded
- olive oil – lemon juice (2:1 ratio)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mise en place ~ Gather your ingredients
- Wash all vegetables
- Dice tomatoes
- Fine dice onion – I give my onions a quick soak in ice water to mellow the raw taste.
- Fine dice jalapeño – the heat is in the veins and seeds – you are the boss.
- Dice avocado – add lemon or lime to keep it from turning brown
- Shred lettuce
- Add olive oil and lemon juice (2:1 ratio)
- Heat skillet (I use and iron skillet)
- Place tortilla in skillet to warm
- Turn and sprinkle hot pepper cheese
- Fold in half
- When warm and starting to brown flip, and brown slightly the other side
- Continue until all tortillas are finished.
- Use a sharp knife to cut in pie shaped pieces.
- I used my pizza cutter.
- Place lettuce down in middle of plate
- Top with tomato salsa
- Top salsa with avocado
I am taking this to
Susan’s at Between Naps On The Porch
Miz Helen at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Michael’s at Rattlebridge Farm
Debra’s at Common Ground
Cindy’s at Romantic Home
Carol’s at The Answer Is Chocolate
Cheryl’s at Tidy Mom
Ruthie’s at What’s Cooking With Ruthie
Leigh Anne’s at Your Home Based Mom
and to The Tablescaper