Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is perfect if you need something to take to work to make your co-workers smile, or you need a favor, or if you are having brunch and you need a sweet to balance the savory, or if you have someone stopping by for morning coffee and you need a little something try this Lemon Coffee Cake with a swirl of cream cheese and lemon curd.
You know I am always thinking of Plan B. I want to tie in one recipe to use in multiple ways. I made Improved Lemon Curd.
It will keep in the refrigerator for about a week, but not like purchased curd because it does not have all those preservatives. Well, I had some left over and you really don’t want to waste. So what to do? Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake seemed the logical answer. Spoon dollops of thinned cream cheese and lemon curd on top of the batter; swirl through the batter with a knife or better yet a chopstick if you have one.
You can bake it in a 9×9 pan, or my preference, a quarter-sheet pan. Ever since I made apricot coffee cake in the quarter-sheet pan that has been my pan of choice. I like the ratio of cake to filling, but you are in charge of your coffee cake, so feel free to use which pan you like.
I made a little crumble to sprinkle on top before baking. I did not want it to be too sweet, but the sprinkle caused the top to crisp and be quiet tasty.
You can use lemon curd or the jam of your choice. If you use store bought curd or jam, give it a little squeeze of lemon and it will brighten the flavor.
You can dust with confectioner’s sugar or a drizzle of icing. Depending on how sweet you like.
Just so you know a little homemade sweet makes you very popular.
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk to thin cream cheese
- 1 stick (4oz.) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup lemon curd; if not homemade give it a squeeze of lemon to brighten the flavor.
- For crumble
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Powdered sugar – dust the top to make it pretty.
- Mise en place ~ Gather ingredients.
- Combine flour and sugar, then cold butter for crumble.
- Place in a container in the freezer until you mix the batter.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use parchment to line a 9x9 inch pan or I used a quarter-sheet pan which I prefer.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Beat in egg one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add flour and buttermilk, alternating in thirds – just to combine.
- Spread batter evenly into baking pan.
- Spoon dollops of thinned cream cheese and lemon curd on top; swirl through batter with a knife or better yet a chopstick if you have one.
- Sprinkle crumble on top. I did not use all of it – your choice.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool; dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
I am taking this to